Are you juggling to work with the concept of Lean Six Sigma? Not able to understand the Lean Six Sigma Concept and how to implement the fundamentals in the business field? Let’s first boil down the basics of Lean Six Sigma and understand the core elements of the work before implementing them in the workplace.
The Key Elements are as follows:
Focus: This is the absolute pursuit that helps to continue the improvement process and keep on rising.
Philosophy: This process’s outputs are determined and measured by the input process.
Measures of Success: Focus on the defects and the opportunities to scale up your business.
Approach: This is known as define, measure, analysis, improvement, and control.
Fuel: These are the methodology driven by the business individuals with a mindset of improving the business constantly.
Before you move further, let us understand Lean Six Sigma and the different approaches implemented to improve the business processes.
What is Lean Six Sigma?
Lean Six Sigma is the prime business methodology that focuses on solving business problems and brings quantitative improvement to maintain the workflow and run the business smoother. This helps design the strategic approach to remove the potential problem that may arise in the workforce. Moreover, it is also helpful in reducing the wasteful process and helps to enhance business quality.
Bill Smith, a Motorola engineer, designed the Lean Six Sigma concept. Developing the management system aims to reduce the defect that arises in the current business process, especially in manufacturing, and resolve it to achieve business goals.
Since the day it came into existence, the Leas Six Sigma has become the key integrated part of the businesses and helps in increasing excellence. The key principles of Lean Six Sigma are as follows:
- The business person needs to build a customer-centric approach to provide the products they need the most
- Use the extensive data to find the defect and solve them on the spot
- Implement the right strategies to improve the processes continuously
- Involve the teams and people to design and define the quality of the product
- Be consistent and implement new strategies to develop the best quality products.
Two Different Approaches to Lean Six Sigma
The Lean Six Sigma training work on two crucial approaches, which are as follows:
- DMAIC: This approach is implemented in the existing business processes where defects arise. The full form of the DMAIC is defining, measures, analysis, improvement and control. The team needs to look objectively at the problems that arise in the workplace. This also covers the statistics approach and analysis to find the problems and use different ways to improve them.
- DMADV: The full form of the DMADV is defined, measured, analyzed, designed and verification. This approach is implemented at the business place when you are designing the new products. However, the strategy is also implemented to redesign the existing work and process. The project model forces the team to work according to the customers’ changing needs and design products to define their needs. The team needs to satisfy the clients.
How Does the Lean Six Sigma Works for Businesses?
Lean Six Sigma is applied to the business to process the solution and strategically control the businesses. It requires statistical analysis to provide lean manufacturing and improve the business standard, which is further helpful in improving the quality of the products.
The three Sigma points indicated the major defects in the business and shows there is a need to improve the process. The entire process revolves around collecting and analyzing the data at a granular level and implementing the Lean Six Sigma points to correct the defect and get better results.
Since it is quite difficult to achieve almost zero defects in the businesses, the new infinity Lean Six Sigma is introduced in the business field. This methodology and concept help find the 3.4 defects per million chances for the possible defects to occur.
In addition to this, the three-sigma concept is also implemented for finding the major 66,807 per million chances. The companies now implement the three Sigma and Lean Six Sigma approaches and methodologies to collect the statics, defects and create the baseline for the Sigma.
This baseline will work on the following norms, which are as follows:
- How close is the defect?
- How far it can go, and the company can do to remove the defects
- What measures should be taken to correct the defect and adhere to the approaches to improve business standards for the future?
How to Implement the Lean Six Sigma Concept to Improve Business?
Suppose you think of implementing the Six Sigma concept within the business organizations. In that case, the foremost step you need to take is to make the statistical tools of Lean Six Sigma and follow the two basic approaches such as DMADV and DMAIC.
In addition to this, it is crucial to set the business expectations, which help to make your lean manufacturing process defect-free and give you a realistic approach. However, you need to follow some of the basic practices to achieve progress in the business field.
At the same time, business management needs to understand the concept of Lean Six Sigma and follow these steps to implement the concept in the right manner and ensure a clean layout.
- Constantly motivate the business stakeholders by pinpointing the quality losses in the businesses.
- Implement the right project management practices and collect all the necessary resources required to manage business
- Educate the teammates about the core principle of the Six Sigma methodology
- They create the best quality control standards and charts. Also, makes sure to identify the business priorities.
- Assign the project ownership to the teams and distribute the work between the team members involved in the team.
- Timely measure the potential and measure the metrics and potential indicators to eliminate the risk as soon as you detect
- Perform deep analysis to find out the root cause of the defect and understand it to remove
- Govern the entire process and implement the right strategies to eliminate the defects and work progressively to meet the customer’s demand.
The steps may vary and depend on how you implement the Lean Six Sigma Concept in your place.
Lean Six Sigma is the prime proponent that helps businesses achieve goals and avoid potential risks. So, this is all about the concept of Six Sigma and how you can implement them in businesses to correct the defect and work progressively. Besides that, businesses need to implement the right strategies to improve.